Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It's hard not to love a hedgehog (vol. 1)



If you follow me on instagram (sunflower_susie) you will immediately notice that I have just about the most adorable pet hedgehog ever. Besides my parents' dogs, she is the only thing I take pictures of lately.

Her name is Falafel Hedgington, or Falafel the Hedgehog. She sometimes goes by Falafalaf or Little Munchkin. She is a champagne colored African Pygmy Hedgehog.

After Lars and I found our apartment, we were disappointed that we couldn't have dogs here. I am allergic to (and kind of suspicious of) cats, although I think they're cute. So I did some research on what pets do best in an apartment. My initial thought was that I wanted a duck. Unfortunately, ducks need an outside space and usually a pond or some sort of water body. So I then discovered the amazingness of hedgehogs.


(Side note on pets we considered- Lars thinks that Potbelly Pigs don't grow to be big. Will someone set him straight about this??)

Image from wikipedia

We moved in in August and I wanted to give it a few months while we settled to make a decision about whether or not to get a hedgie. Then, one day in October, I was about to leave to go feed my parents' dogs because they weren't going to be home until late. Lars came up the back stairs carrying a blue cage over his head.

"OH MY GOD IS THAT A HEDGEHOG??!!"

And it was. The tiniest little baby pokey snuggler there was.

Best surprise two month early birthday gift ever!

So, enjoy many adorable pictures of Falafel as a baby. Don't worry- there will be more to come in the future. 

Falafel sporting a highly fashionable toilet paper roll hat

She likes to sleep in pockets

oh, so very sleepy


After her first bath

Sniffin' around the cage

Oh hi there!

Wave hi to the camera!

So small and sleepy and snuggly

Why do hedgehogs have tails? They are so silly looking

Stay tuned for volume 2! 


1 comment:

  1. you should next write about Falafel's bedding alternative!

    ReplyDelete