Friday, March 21, 2014

My favorite natural nausea aid


Fun botanical fact: plants in the mint family have square stems

I have mentioned before that I have a chronic illness, POTS, that I deal with pretty regularly. And one of the annoying symptoms is nausea. When I was in Dallas at the POTS Treatment Center, one time when I was nauseous, they burned some peppermint oil. I know that peppermint is supposed to help with nausea but I didn't think that smelling it would help. But I was totally wrong!

I love having this method because it is completely safe and natural and I don't have to take any medications or prepare anything, or even spend a lot of money on it.



All you need to do this is some peppermint essential oil and an oil burner. You can get electric oil burners, or you can get ones that use a candle. I prefer the kind with the candle.

Aren't my oil burners pretty?

I got my oil burners from Novica, an online store in association with National Geographic that has hand-made products from all over the world. You can find them here.

Here are some less expensive oil burners:
As for the peppermint oil, you want to get a 100% pure essential oil. You can find peppermint oils from two different species of peppermint plant: Mentha piperita or Mentha arvensis. Mentha piperita is generally preferred and is what we traditionally think of as peppermint, but Mentha arvensis also has a strong mint smell, is less expensive, and supposed to be better in making soaps. Here are some good oils:
Peppermint oil is supposed to be great for a lot of other things too. Applying peppermint oil to the skin can help with headaches and muscle aches, and you can even put it on cotton balls to deter spiders and mice. Who knew?

I hope that burning peppermint oil will help you as much as it helps me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment