Friday, March 14, 2014

Shampoo Free Since 23!



I haven't shampooed my hair in over a year. 

No, this doesn't mean I have not washed it. I've been doing the "no poo" method.

A little over a year and a half ago I increased a dosage of a medication that can make your hair fall out as a side effect. I was losing hair all over the place and worried about it getting thinner. I read about different vitamins you could take or products you could buy but none of them seemed convincing for me (not to mention expensive). 

I discovered the no-poo method by chance on pinterest. I read a very detailed account on why shampoo is bad for your scalp and how to no-poo wash your hair from Code Red Hat. And it has been awesome for me. Not only do I feel great about reducing the amount of chemicals I put on my body and down the drain- I also don't need to wash my hair as often, and it has gotten thicker! And it is way cheaper than shampoo.


This is your hair without shampoo- oh and also an adorable dog.

So what is the magic of no-poo? Only the natural product lover's best friends- baking soda and vinegar! Apple cider vinegar, that is. 

If you want to go no poo, here is what you will need:
  • Squeeze bottle with a pointed tip (a la a mustard bottle)
  • Spray bottle
  • Baking soda
  • Vinegar
  • Water

It really is that simple. 


Fabulous shiny healthy locks
To use your no-poo:

  • use 1 tablespoon of baking soda per 1 cup of water
  • put in squeeze bottle with pointed tip
  • apply to roots all over your head
  • rub into your scalp and let dissolve for a few minutes
  • rinse thoroughly

And for your cider rinse:
  • use 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per 1 cup of water
  • put in a spray bottle
  • spray all over hair concentrated mostly on ends
  • rinse thoroughly

And that's all folks.

My no-poo wash and cider rinse in the shower (time for a refill on the rinse!)

This method isn't for everyone. You won't have the scents or foaming that comes along with regular shampoo. But the tradeoff is definitely worth it. (and if you want scents in your hair, you can add a few drops of essential oil to your hair brush).

For most people there is a transition period where their scalp adjusts from using shampoo to using no-poo. This didn't happen for me. Probably because I was never someone who shampooed my hair every single day. But be prepared to wear your hair up or in a scarf for the first few weeks of this method.

Once you get past the transition, you will wonder why you ever thought you wanted to use shampoo in the first place. 

Did you think your hair could get this clean without shampoo?

Look out in future posts for more about my natural beauty routines and more natural hair recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment