Monday, March 17, 2014

The best, simplest, peanut butter cookies there ever were. That also happen to be gluten free.



When I first went off of gluten, I seriously craved some good baked goods. It's hard to like the grocery-bought stuff when you remember the taste and texture of wheat cookies, cakes, and breads. This recipe enlightened me to the amazingness of gluten free (and also grain free!) baking.

I don't have step-by-step pictures, so hopefully I can add them later in an updated version of this post. What I do have is an amazing recipe.


First off- let me say- whoever told you that flour belongs in peanut butter cookies in any form was FLAT OUT WRONG. Wrong I say! Taste these and you will immediately know why.

Delicious with chocolate chips

Ingredients

  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter (room temperature- I prefer all natural peanut butters)
  • 1 egg (works best at room temperature) 
  • 1 cup white sugar (brown works too and gives a stickier texture)
  • Optional:
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • chocolate chips

Recipe

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well combined
  3. Lay out wax paper on a cookie sheet 
  4. Shape dough into balls. The dough will be sticky
  5. Using a fork, flatten a criss cross pattern into the cookie
  6. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn brown
  7. Let cool before eating. Do not skip this step- or your cookies will literally fall apart, unfortunately. Patience, patience. 

This recipe will give you about 12 medium sized cookies. And that will not be enough- so always make more. Experiment with toppings and additions. I've made these with white chocolate chips and they were amazing. They are always amazing. My boyfriend's family makes me make them every time we get together. They also work great as a substitute for cookie crusts- I made an amazing peanut butter crust cheesecake with chocolate topping using these cookies. Gluten free and completely delicious. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment